On Our Way to Mexico

On Our Way to MexicoToday we started our adventure that begins in Cancun, Mexico and ends in Havana, Cuba.  This is the second time we are taking Health Science students abroad for a service learning experience.  This year we are traveling with 14 amazing and diverse students.  I can tell they are going to be a good group. They have already exhibited much kindness and patience towards each other, and we have not even started our service work yet.

I am traveling with two wonderful colleagues; Dr. Jerry Smartt and Professor Karen Scroggins.  Jerry and I have worked together over the past two years designing and assessing these experiences.  Karen is a professor of graphic arts and has come along this year to document our  journey.  I am so fortunate to be able to work with such gifted and dedicated people.

It appears that we have come to Cancun during their monsoon season.  It is pouring out, and according to the weather reports, will continue to do so the entire time we are here.  No worries, our motto is “go with the flow” which becomes even more relevant in our current climate.  I am confident that we will work hard and achieve our goals.

The picture attached was taken at the Wichita Airport before we departed on our journey.

Respectfully Submitted,
Karyn Turla